Garlic is preventative medicine for just about everything.
It purifies the blood, improves blood circulation, strengthens the heart, boosts the immune system, and it is a powerful antioxidant. High cholesterol? Garlic lowers cholesterol.
Allicin, the active component in Garlic has antibiotic properties, that kill bad bacteria. Garlic also has anti-inflammatory properties! So eat more garlic!
I will make pasta primavera for my family, one nice sized bowl full, a half pound of whole wheat pasta, half a small onion, and guess how much garlic?? Depending on the size of the cloves I use anywhere from 5-8 cloves of garlic.
Yes for one single dinner. As long as the garlic is cooked and not burnt it will not overpower the dish.
SHRIMP OR CHICKEN PASTA PRIMAVERA
This is very light and very healthy, and best of all delicious!!
raw shrimp or previoulsy roasted chicken ( or you could do tofu or raw chicken-add right after the garlic and cook for at least 6 minutes)
whole grain rotini
thawed frozen broccoli, peas, spinach/ or fresh, just cook longer
asparagus, cut in thirds
extra virgin olive oil as needed (approx 2 tablespoons) evoo
grated parmesan cheese - (I now use sea salt because we have a dairy allergy)
1/2-1 small sweet onion, chopped
4-8 cloves minced garlic
SPRINKLE OF garlic powder
FRESH BASIL-organic, chopped
1 t lemon juice-or to taste
- First thing to do is heat the water for your pasta
- Then heat the evoo, add the onion cook till soft and translucent,
- then add the garlic then the aspargus. ADD THE DRIED HERBS, Cook for approx 2-3 minutes
- once water is boiling add salt evoo and organic whole wheat rotelle pasta, cook on medium boil until al dente about 6 min.
- then throw in your thawed frozen vegetables (add the garlic powder) stir and cook for about 2-3 minutes
- Add the cooked chicken, or cooked shrimp those just need to be reheated. (If your using the raw shrimp allow at least 5 min for them to cook beofre the pasta is done)
- When pasta's done, drain, mix with everything in a large bowl --if using parmasean cheese (which has lower sodium than salt) add at least 3 tablespoons parm cheese, fresh basil and lemon juice. toss. enjoy!
This recipe is butternut squash sauce with shrimp over rigatoni (by giada de laurentis). It is fabulous, and it freezes amazingly. This is the link for the recipe
She says to use 2 cloves. no. You need to use at least 5, more if you have a really big squash