Options for the crust:
- making a dough from scratch (obviously this takes the most time and work)
- Using brown rice wraps (gluten free) or whole wheat wraps for the crust
- Using a pre-made ciabatta pizza crust from trader joe's (easiest method, and I think it;s vegan too)
So for the pizzas I made, I used vegan rice milk cheese, you could also use daiya mozzarella shreds, or whatever works best for you.
If you are making dough from scratch do it in the morning so it's ready to go when you need it.
Here is a simple dough recipe from food network (-I like to add garlic powder, olive oil, and dried herbs)
when your ready to make your pizza preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Shred your cheese (if it's not shredded already.)
If you put your "cheese" in the freezer for a few minutes prior to shredding, it shreds nicer.
Now the vegan rice milk cheese, you want to shred it extremely fine, because sometimes it doesn't want to melt easily.
See what's in your fridge for toppings.... Possibilities are endless.. Check your freezer too.
My boyfriend's BBQ chicken pizza:
- take a pre made ciabatta pizza crust, and spread an even layer of your favorite natural BBQ sauce.
- Then lay pieces of cooked leftover chicken on top. Lightly drizzle or brush with more BBQ sauce.
- Then top with shredded vegan cheese.
- Your best bet with these cheese is to put the pizza on the middle rack, on broil, for about 2-3 minutes, checking every minute. Once the cheese looks melted, then cook the pizza at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or so. For a crispier crust place directly on rack.
Gluten free Vegan vegetable pizza:
You can also do this with regular wraps, it's really really quick, and easy, and great when you have leftover wraps in your fridge.
- take 2 wraps. sprinkle vegan cheese entirely on one, put other on top, like a sandwich. Cook that at 400F, flipping once for about 5-10 minutes, depending on your oven, your wraps, and how you like your pizza.
- While it's cooking take out some frozen artichokes hearts (or whatever you want) and brown them in some olive oil. Add some fresh kale, sea salt and garlic powder. Let cook for about 2 min longer, or until kale starts to wilt.
- Check the wraps.. After the inside cheese melted and the wraps cooked a bit, take it out and smother it in a good homemade tomato sauce.
- Then place your cooked veggies on top, and sprinkle with vegan cheese.
- Your best bet with these cheese is to put the pizza on the middle rack, on broil, for about 2-3 minutes, checking every minute. Once the cheese looks melted, then cook the pizza at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or so. For a crispier crust place directly on rack.