We decided to try something new called TEESE. It's vegan and NON GMO, it melts beautifully, and tastes a lot better than rice milk cheese. Wow- this stuff is pretty amazing! To use teese, for shredding, place in freezer a few minutes prior to shredding!
If your gunna have a homemade pizza night you might as well do it right, none of that L-cystine chemical laced store bought dough, I'm talkin the good stuff.
This dough recipe is originally from EMERIL. BAM!!
- 1 cup warm water, about 110 degrees F. (Do not heat your water in the microwave, lazy. boiling water does not dirty a pot/kettle. use the stove. The only thing that should be microwaved is a sponge.)
- 1 packet dry [active] yeast
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 2 tablespoon organic olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups flour (may use more or less, for a double batch I used 4 1/4 cup flour)
- dash of salt
- dash or garlic powder
- dash of oregano/basil
- Your best bet is to have a kitchenaid mixer. If you don't have one, go buy one, because they are freakin awesome. So you will be using your dough hook, for mixing this. Into the bowl goes your yeast, sugar, and warm water. NOT HOT WATER, HOT WATER KILLS YEAST. NOT COLD, COLD WON'T ACTIVATE THE YEAST. WARM. Give it a gentle stir, and let sit for a minute or so.
- add the other ingredients and mix until mixed through, and well, dough like.
- Take it out, and either in your hands or on a floured surface shape into a ball.
- put your dough ball in an olive oil greased bowl, and cover with a clean dish towel.
- place in a warm draft free place for 1 hour to rise, it should at least double in size.
After your dough has risen, preheat your oven to 500 degrees F. Figure out what you want to top your pizza with; artichoke hearts, spinach, kale, mushrooms, garlic, asparagus, cooked pasta, tomatoes, basil, zucchini, fried eggplant organic beef meatballs, vegan meatballs, sausage, bacon..... Whatever you decide. I used mushrooms, spinach and garlic.
- clean and dry your veggies. then slice em up.
- heat up some olive oil in a pan on medium low heat.
- add garlic, stir, cook 1-2 minutes
- add mushrooms, cook until soft and browned.
- add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Feel free to add a touch (I said touch, not teaspoon or pinch) of salt or dried herbs.
- While your veggies are cooking up, you should be shredding your teese.
- Take out your dough, and with your hands begin to stretch it apart. on a floured surface or your greased baking surface lay your flattened stretched dough. ( I laid it on a greased cookie sheet, according to alton brown your supposed to preheat your pan in the oven, and put the pizza onto a hot pan, either way works.)
- spread/flatten your dough to desired thickness. I like pizzeria style, as thin as it goes, if it rips, pat some extra to the hole and mush it back into one piece. If your dough is uneven it will cook unevenly, and you will get raw and burnt spots, try to make it flat, use a rolling pin if necessary To make the crust use two hands, one hand using your fingers to pull some dough away from pizza, and other hand patting the thick extra dough thinner into the pizza. Or whatever is easiest for you.
- Spread your homemade or organic tomato sauce on your dough. (you can also use BBQ sauce, or whatever) I don't like light sauce. For the perfect amount, you want to completely cover the pizza, no holes, no transparent sauce spots, a nice even layer.
- evenly lay down your toppings.
- sprinkle on top you shredded teese. For a tasty crust, brush with olive oil.
- place on bottom rack of oven for 7-12 minutes or until desired done-ness.
- let rest for 1-2 minutes before eating.
- Enjoy the best vegan pizza, ever.